Friday, January 19, 2007

My first party invite!!

Up bright and early this morning at 6:45am to hit the box office at 7:45am. We came in too late yesterday for me to hit the festival box office and pick up my adrenaline pass. I had a 9:15 am at the Eccles this morning and I didn't want to miss it.

An adrenaline pass is great. You get to see any movie before 10am or after 10pm just by walking in no later than 15 minutes before the screening starts. This allows you to see many of the Competition Films that otherwise are sold out. Plus, because it's a credential, you gain entry into the filmmakers lounge and many other locations that do not allow the general public.

The box office is right out the back door of my condo, which is very convenient. And they have separate lines for passholders, which is also very convenient, considering people slept in sleeping bags on the floor and were in line at 4am to try to get some available tickets. When I came in, the line was very, very, very long. I was the first and only in line for passholders.

They couldn't find my name on the list...I tried not to panic, but all my choices for movies had been plotted out specifically with the pass in mind. 20 movies were suddenly disappearing...finally, with my credit card number, they were able to look up the purchase. All was right with the world again.

On my way out, I ran into LA producer Effie Brown (Real Women Have Curves, Everyday People), who produced the Sundance dramatic competition film 'Rocket Science'. I met Effie at the Atlanta Film Festival a few years ago. She has bright red dyed hair. It's her trademark. I remember asking her if she found her wild hair to be a hindrance...or if money people had a tendency not to take her seriously because of it. She told me that it was actually a blessing. Money people just thought of her as a creative person and she was easily recognizable.

As someone with wildly colored purple hair, it was nice to hear. I love my purple hair. It's fun. I mean it's just hair and I've never understood why it's so "out there" to have it a different color or different style...although I do think the faux hawk is absolutely lame. But if you like your silly little faux hawk, who am I to judge?

Anyway, I got invited to her party...well, not yet, but she told me she would invite me. More on that when it happens....

No comments: